← Back to All Recipes
Plum Tomato Marinara Sauce: These saucy, smokey chicken tacos are the new favorite filling of tortillas everywhere. Makes 10 - 12 Tacos.
- 2 tablespoons Sonoma Gourmet Roasted Chile Olive Oil
- 1/2 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup Sonoma Gourmet Plum Tomato Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 pound shredded rotisserie chicken (can use beef or pork, too)
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- In a food processor or blender, add the chipotle peppers and sauce, olive oil, plum tomato marinara, honey, garlic, vinegar, cumin, oregano, onion powder, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and lime juice, and blend until very smooth. If too thick, add small amounts of water or oil to thin out the sauce.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the shredded chicken and about half the sauce and cook until warmed through.
- Heat a large (preferably cast iron) pan over medium-high heat and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Warm the tortillas on each side for about 30 seconds each. Scoop a tablespoon or two of the chile-tomato sauce onto the tortilla and spread to the edges with the back of a spoon. Flip tortillas so they are saucy side down and let cook for a minute until the tortilla is evenly coated and begins to char.
- Repeat with all tortillas and immediately fill with a scoop of saucy chicken mixture. Top with white onion, cilantro, and cheese (if using).
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published