← Back to All Recipes
Skillet pizza is IT. This easy, quick recipes uses our Heirloom Tomato bestselling Pizza Sauce. Makes 4 Servings.
- 1 cup Sonoma Gourmet Pizza Sauce
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil (we use our Basil & Parmesan Olive Oil)
- 8 ounces spicy Italian ground sausage (pork or chicken), browned
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium bulb fennel, sliced, plus fennel fronds for garnish
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade or chopped
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot honey
- Place a rack in the top-most position of oven and preheat to 500 degrees F.
- Place dough on a work surface and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, turning to coat the dough ball. Using your hands or a rolling pin, gently stretch/roll the dough into to a 10" round. Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausage for 5 minutes, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Carefully lay the dough inside the pan and push the dough all the way to the sides.
- Season the dough with salt and spread 2/3 of the sauce over the entire bottom with a spoon. Top with 3/4 of the mozzarella then add the mushrooms, fennel, peppers, garlic, cooked sausage, remaining cheese, and remaining sauce. Drizzle with another tablespoon or two of olive oil.
- Set the skillet over medium heat and cook until crust is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake on the top rack until the crust is golden brown around the edges and cheese is browned in spots and bubbling all over, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Top with more salt, red pepper flakes, basil, and drizzle with oil and honey. Slice and serve.
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published