← Back to All Recipes
Do you dream of meatball sandwiches? Us, too. Try this dreamy, delicious recipe made with our Cherry Tomato Basil Sauce and Basil & Parmesan Olive Oil. Makes 4 Sandwiches.
- 1 jar Sonoma Gourmet Cherry Tomato Basil Sauce
- 4 ounces whole-milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (we use our Basil & Parmesan Olive Oil)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, minced
- 1.25 pounds ground pork
- 1/3 cup caramelized onions
- 4 6” hoagie rolls
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 4 tablespoons store-bought pesto (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, salt, pepper, fennel, garlic, onion powder, red pepper flakes, parsley, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, egg, breadcrumbs, and pork. Mix gently using your hands.
- Shape meat into 16 to 20 equally sized balls (1.5” diameter) and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Put the meatballs on the top rack of the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the rolls, brush the insides with olive oil, and lay open on a rimmed baking sheet. Add to the oven and bake for 4 minutes with the meatballs.
- Remove the rolls, turn oven to broil and cook the meatballs for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven, leaving the oven on broil.
- Top each roll with 3 to 4 meatballs, plenty of sauce, caramelized onions, basil, shredded mozzarella, and a few drizzles of pesto (if using).
- Pop sandwiches in the oven (top rack) and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is gooey and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with a little extra sauce on the side.
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published